Progressive Pathways to Career Transformation
We are committed to strengthening the family unit by promoting economic self-sufficiency. We help equip individuals with the tools needed to enter or re-enter the workforce through training, career-building, and job placement services. ADVANCE-U offers a full range of essential economic resources for residents to help them succeed in the workforce, stabilize their finances and build assets.
ADVANCE-U can be described in three simple solutions; career credentialing, career preparation, and career advancement.
FREE TAX SERVICES AT THE URBAN LEAGUE
We are thrilled to share the exciting news that FREE tax preparation services are NOW available through Broward Tax Pro at the Urban League of Broward County.
In our ongoing commitment to financial empowerment, we have increased the income threshold from $66,000 to $75,000. This adjustment allows us to reach and assist even more individuals and families in navigating the difficulties of tax season without the burden of additional costs.
Available at the Urban League:
- February 6th
- February 20th
- March 5th
- March 12th
- March 19th
- April 2nd
- April 9th
- Eligibility: Individuals with an annual income of $75,000 or less qualify for free tax preparation services.
Documents to Bring:
• If you were a victim of Identity Theft, you must bring your Identity Theft letter from the IRS with your newly issued PIN #. The PIN # changes every year. You must bring the newest letter that the IRS mailed for this tax season.
• Must have current Government Issued ID with the correct information
• Social Security card or verification letter that includes the Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter for all members to be included in the tax return
• W-2 forms for all jobs worked (2023, 2022, 2021, 2020) as applicable to the tax year you need to file
• Form 1099-G for unemployment compensation and state or local tax refunds
• Form 1099-R or form SSA-1099
• If you are self-employed, Bring all the supporting documentation related to your business income and expenses. (If you worked with Uber and/or Lyft, you must bring the official statement they provide showing the details of gross payments received, mileage, and fees paid during 2023 plus tax deduction tracker for year 2023 and rideshare tax organizer for year 2023). You must bring your Form 1099-NEC and 1099-K as they may show important information related to your business.
• Form W-2G and any other 1099 form received during 2023.
• Childcare provider name, address, tax ID number (may be the provider’s SSN/ITIN), and the amount paid in 2023.
• Form 1098-T, plus updated unofficial transcripts from your school and school statement showing charges and payments for every academic period if you or anyone in your household attended college or university (post-secondary education)
• Other applicable tax-related documents, such as interest statements, federal loan documents, retirement statements, list of organizations to which you made charitable donations and their support documentation, etc.
• Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
• Form 1099-K- for those self-employed taxpayers who use debit, credit, or another 3rd party (e.g., cash app, Venmo, Zelle) for business transactions or settled with a third-party network for transactions with gross payments exceeding $600 in 2023.
• Direct Deposit info: Banking or credit union account information (routing and checking/saving account number)
• Bring your previous year’s tax return, depending on which tax return you need help preparing
The Urban League is strengthening its service model with career credentialing to prepare and equip individuals for career advancement. We are committed to eliminating equality gaps through reskilling and upskilling pathways to employment.
"I believe getting the white belt certification really helped drive their decision to hire me." - Kimerlee Richardson
Earn One Free Certification
- Scrum Master
- Python Coding
- COMP TIA A+
- Tableau Training
- Amazon Web Services
- Home Health Aide
- Emergency Medical Tech
- Certified Nurse Assitant
- Surgical Technician
The Urban League provides essential tools and services to guide career preparation for individuals seeking employment. All of our uniquely designed workshops are facilitated by career coaches focusing on key developmental categories:
- Job Search Techniques
- Financial Literacy
- Family & Child Support Services
- Life skills Development
- Resume & Job Search Techniques
- Interview Attire
- Image Consultation
- Pre-interview Counseling
- Interview Preparation
The Urban League of Broward County provides a space to overcome hurdles that may be holding you back and help you move towards creating a step-by-step plan for attaining your long-term goals. Through the coaching process, clients will focus on financial education, asset building, job training, career advancement, public benefits screenings, and identifying personal goals for a successful financial future!
- Job Placement Opportunities
- Money Management Education
- Credit Improvement Strategies
- Asset Building
- Job Development Support and Training
- Career Fairs and Hiring Events
- Networking Opportunities
Individual Development Account (I.D.A.) Program is designed to increase knowledge and wealth in the low-income community by providing a 2:1 match savings program that will allow you to either purchase your first home, continue post-secondary education or establish a small business. Quarterly financial literacy workshops are held to encourage good budgeting and savings techniques.
The Urban League of Broward County's IDA (Individual Development Account) Match Savings program is NOT accepting new applications currently due to limited funding. If you are Broward County resident and are interested in being placed on the IDA waitlist, please review the eligibility guidelines and email your contact information and asset use (education, home purchase, small business or vehicle purchase) to: IDA@ulbcfl.org. As funding becomes available, an Urban League staff member will contact you with next steps.
The Urban League of Broward County is committed to strengthening the family unit by promoting economic self-sufficiency. We look forward to working with you for your asset attainment goals.
Thank you to the following workforce partners who are committed to advancing economic services through the Urban League's mission.
- Aspire Academy
- AT&T Believe Miami
- Bank of America
- Bloomin' Brands Inc.
- Broward College
- Broward Sheriff's Office
- CareerSource Broward
- City Furniture
- CLS Behring
- Department of Economic Opportunity
- Health Foundation of South Florida
- National Urban League
- South Florida Anchor Alliance
- United Way
Have a question about our Jobs programs?
Contact the Urban League at 954.584.0777.